Sunday, June 29, 2008

We are here!!

Greetings from Hachinohe Church of Christ!! It is hard to believe that we have been here for almost two days! (It is Monday afternoon here but Sunday evening back home!) Today was our first day with readers and already we have each met with at least one reader- I have met with two different readers and both have rescheduled to come back again this week!

Yesterday, we were warmly received by the Church- we each introduced ourselves at the morning service and everyone here is so kind and happy to receive us! We also enjoyed a very delicious (oi-shi) meal of rice with a curry stew prepared by some of the women from church. Already we are getting have been blessed by amazing Japanese hospitality- good food and tea and everyone wants to serve us. Yesterday we also went to the Hachinohe shopping mall and to the store for some basic needs. We went with Masayo and the Nakamura sisters and had a lot of fun enjoying their company, especially when we went to a hamburger place called "surprise donkey"!

This morning I read with Yui, an elementary teacher who teaches the same age that I teach in Sunday school. We read about the Prodigal son and we talked about how a father would react in our world if his son was so foolish. I talked to Yui about how I felt more like the older son who sees the younger son as a fool, but Yui reminded me that we all are like the younger son at some point in our lives. She is not Christian but she is very open to the word and I am very excited about our next session.

Please pray for us, that we are well rested and that we are able to help the readers with their English. Pray that we find ways to understand each other, when things might get lost in translation. I am praying that our readers will see God working and that I will be a good example as a Christian woman.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds great, guys! I am glad to see you are all awake and enjoying your time over there. Keep up the good work. :)